Monday, 21 January 2008

Belle & Boo is Two

Gosh, I can't quite believe this is the first time this year, I have had chance to sit down and add something new to my blog. A VERY, very belated Happy New Year, I really hope 2008 has been treating you well so far.
New Years Eve was a cosy affair, delicious food, a log fire and friends old & new, followed by a brisk New Year's Day walk on the beach, to blow away the cobwebs of 2007.



Then it was straight back to work & like the title of this blog entry states 'Belle & Boo is now Two'.....

Firstly, Belle & Boo has been up and running since December 2006, so this is now the second year. When I opened my little Etsy shop I had NO idea just how well received it would be. I have had the most amazing support from people all over the world, on days when I'd feel low and doubt my abilities, a stranger would convo or a customer leave feedback, that would say just the right things to pick me up & get me creating again.

Which takes me nicely on to my second point. The problem with having a busy little shop, is there isn't much time at the end of the day to create anything new.
Which has been hugely frustrating & quite frankly kinda stressful.

So....... Belle & Boo is now 2.

Let me introduce you to Kate,


Ok so she is still a little camera shy!
Working with an extra pair of hands is going to allow me the time to draw, paint, sew, print, sketch, collage & generally just get all arty again.

I CAN'T WAIT.

Kate has been well & truly bitten by the Etsy bug & confessed to me today that she left her guests at a dinner party she was hosting to quickly log on to Etsy to re-list!

So, we are now both here to answer your queries, print your prints, pack your orders, add new and exciting products to the shop & most importantly be able to have a friendly chat with anyone stopping by the store!

I already had the time last last week, to create a new art work, it is a complimentary piece, to an art work I completed last year. The initial drawing was in response to a commission from the lovely Pip from Meet me at Mikes in Melbourne. She plans to do something VERY exciting with the characters (to be continued!) The print is aptly named 'Meet me At Mikes'


& with romance in the air, I drew this other cuddly piece called 'Let's Hug' Both are now available in my shop.


Other exciting news, my work appeared in the stunning & incredibly cool Australian magazine Frankie. A friend introduced me to the magazine when I was in Sydney, we both loved it, so you can imagine how over excited I was when they asked me to be in it.
I received 2 copies in the post last week plus a packet of Tim Tams & 3 Violet Crumbles, mmmmmmmmmmmm. Thank you for all the Australian love that has been coming my way & a new batch of Belle & Boo Totes are on their way from the States as I type.



There are 2 full colour spreads & a pull out poster of 'Found'


& slowly but surely the studio gets built!

34 comments:

  1. i'd say you're off to a beautiful start, my lovely and talented friend ;-)
    2008 will be a most magical year!!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me giggle to see those Tim Tams half undressed. It just wouldn't be right to see an unopened packet of those wicked things..
    Much love and best wishes to you for this year Mandy, you deserve all things amazing.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The empire is growing! That's such good news and I hope things go from strength to strength (although you relaise now people will ask which one of you is Belle and which one's Boo).

    I can totally understand the addiction to Etsy - my shop is less than a week old ( http://angiemuldowney.etsy.com )and I love it to bits - everyone is so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful start to the new year for you! Love the new prints :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've bought prints from you before and I ADORE them, now I think i'll have to add these to my collection :). I like to imagine the girl looks a bit like me and the boy looks a bit like my boyfriend! Heh!

    Where are these totes you mention traveling to? Are they going to be sold at Mikes? I had no idea you sold things there, it's only 7 minutes from where I live! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I love the new pieces. So much sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy...what a great way to start the year! Amen to getting help! I am so glad that you are getting help! It seems like it will work out great! I love the new drawing...these characters are just so cute! you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the new artwork!! Happy New year!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an amazing start to the year, may it continue being super successful!

    ps please please please do more boyish prints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to start a new year, congrats! And do not worry about your abilities, you make such beautiful and lovely work. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so excited to see that you're back and that things are going exceptionally well!!! I love your new images... they remind me a bit of The Bridge to Terabithia, which I tried to draw, but you captured. I love everything you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. welcome kate! hope life will be less stressful and more fun now.

    very intrigued by your studio, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic start. Was your work in the Dec or Jan issue of Frankie? I am sooooo gutted- i had a subscription to Frankie as a christmas present (i discovered it in the summer whilst visiting the inlaws in aus).

    I hadnt received anything from Frankie so dylan (my hubby) emailed them. For some reason my subscription begins with the Feb edition. WHY?! so i guess ive missed seeing you in there! :(

    Its awesome that you can actually employ someone to help you. You really are an inspiration when my shop has tumble weeds blowing thru it etc- your success reminds me it is possible after all!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your work being published! How exciting.I really enjoyed you blog today.Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your artwork and I'm so excited to see that you have some of your work in Nest (Kauai). Hubby and I will have to visit the shop when we get back to the island.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, and through frankie was how I found your little blog. well done

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad to read again from you.

    For you, also a happy, creative 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So wonderful that you have some help. I love the new work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i had discovered your etsy shop a while ago and hearted it. today when i was cruising though the valentine showcase i saw your painting and fell in love...

    i love love LOVE your things. i wish i had a little girl to hang some of those prints in her nursury. i'm desperately trying to think of someone i know who has a little girl so i can buy a print...i think i would have a hard time parting with it though. oh and i can't choose which one out of like 5 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've been busy! Congrats on all the wonderful things coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on turning 2! :) I just renamed my store on etsy as well. Used to be SparksFly and I changed it to Vol.25. I was super scared to make a change for fear of leaving behind some customers. Remembering your shop move, and how succesful you were gave me hope and the determination to move. We had a great first week! :)

    So glad to hear things have gotten busy enough for you to hire help! Thats so exciting, you have obviously had some pent up creative juices for awhile now. The new prints are SUPER adorable. :) Your so inspiring to me. Thanks!!

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year!
    It sounds like you are off to a super start, hope 2008 is wonderful for you.
    love Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello to kate,and congratulations on your 2nd year Belle and Boo,we love you. I can't wait to see what other wonderful creations you come up with now mandy, with that bit of extra time to draw and make!!the magazine Frankie looks cool like you say and how amazing to be in it, with a pull out copy of the print! australians must have good taste,love and wishes Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on all the changes etc! I'm happy you have help. I adore your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey
    i read frankie and i fell in love with ur artwork. its gorgeous. so id jst like to say that ur having a great impact on australia and good luck! x.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How amazing to have your little baby now have staff - that's super exciting and taking it to the next level. Ella's actually been sticking with your lovely stickers today and whilst not wanting to quash her child's enthusiasm I was thinking that decorating her cereal box as a pretend present wasn't the best use for them! Just have to buy some more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats on being in Frankie!! Frankie is my most favourite magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's brilliant news about Frankie! I'm very eager to see what comes of the Meet Me at Mike's print! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey

    Wanted to tell you I bought 'Frankie here in Thailand, just because your work was in it. Congrats, and I love the poster :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. congratultaions on turning 2! how great to be featured in frankie. i picked up a copy a while back in borders...but haven't seen it since. hope i can find one with your article in. i hope this year brings you even more success + an exciting adventure. your work is truly special : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. i have this issue of frankie and your poster is now proudly blue-tacked in front of my imac! it's awesome! my boyfriend wants to tattoo it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Frankie is by far my absolute favourite magazine, I have a subscription and plan to do so forever, even when I am an old lady! Your poster that I got from Frankie is on my wall and I look at it admiringly every single day. Your little characters are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i just came across belle & boo not too long ago when i was looking for owls pictures-haha. & i am in love!!!! i love all of your work, & i even contemplated getting one of your pieces tattooed : ] you have found a huge fan in me, keep on being amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete