Friday, 26 March 2010

Trip North

Over the past few weeks I have been out & about alot & I am not embarrassed to say I was really looking forward to a quiet night in tonight to catch up with my blog & watch Medium !
A couple of weeks ago Russ & I took a trip North to visit family & friends, we stopped by the Yorkshire Sculpture Park (Russ & I had one of our first dates there many years ago) Unfortunately we had just missed the Rob Ryan exhibition but there were plenty of other amazing things to see.


Like this little bunny....


which turned out to be not so little



Whilst passing through Leeds we took a trip back to our old art college known a H-block, as you can see it is not the most attractive of buildings,


but still we were some what surprised to discover it had been shut down & the art department moved across the road to this fabulous new building,


I am not sure I would have worked quite so hard in this contemporary environment, I used to joke with my friend that studied at Norwich if I had gone to college there I would have just wandered around romantically, sighing! (If you haven't been its a beautiful building)
Yet again we timed it wrong & couldn't get in to see the Survive Exhibition, so these following photos are courtesy of my friend Matt, who timed it better!
We all had a big banner printed


& a framed illustration


The exhibition featured BA (Hons) Graphic Arts and Design alumni that have made their careers as illustrators.


It was very impressive to see 5 people from my year were asked to exhibit & that's not to mention all my friends also from that year that have gone on to make it in the film, music & graphic designer industry. The tutors said at the time it was a strong year and they were right. My contemporaries from right to left Matt Herring, Russ Mills, Martin O'Neil & Jackie Parsons (actually she was a different year but is an honoree memeber) Alex Williamson also took part but I don't have any photos of his work.


Next stop my friend Clare's house. Now I am not often jealous of other peoples studios as I love mine so much, but Clare's turns me into a small child every time, I stomp my foot, stick out my bottom lip and complain loudly "I want one"




Isn't it amazing & her work is amazing also, this is a painting she did of me when we were at art college together.


Her husband Giles owns the local garage and shop, did I mention I was jealous of their lifestyle, stomp, smash, bang that's me throwing another childish tantrum! !


On Monday Kate & I went to visit the ladies at the Bristol studio & I met Suzie for the first time, she has been posting & packing for us for a while now and recently has set up Belle & Boo Twitter & Facebook pages. We thought as the business is expanding it might be fun to have these written by the Bristol ladies so you get a more rounded idea of Belle & boo life & not just me wittering on all the time ! Suzie by the way is the most over qualified post & packer ever she has a degree in art conservation so is used to handling VERY precious materials indeed, our packages are looking fabulous & we are receiving lots of lovely emails like this.

"I just wanted to write to say a big thank you for my package today. Wow. I am so impressed. It was like Christmas with all the special touches in the packaging and the little clothes pins and postcards and ribbons. Not only was I delighted with the items I chose and the attention to detail in their hand-made finish, but then all the embellishments that came with the order. Fantastic"
-thank you Rachel

I have to admit I do miss the packaging desk


the Ikea bags have been replaced by Royal Mail postal sacks for the trips to the post office


& huge racking was erected by the Bristol husbands, it's all looking very grand.


& finally last night, Russ & I went to see Chicago, starring Ruthie Henshall it was such fun & afterwards we got taken back stage and met her, Belle & Boo 'might' be doing some work with her in the future, eek ! so as always watch this space

16 comments:

  1. Wow what a fun trip! Shame you missed Rob Ryan...I'm waiting for him to come to Australia! I especially love that rabbit sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely trip...thank you for sharing the fun. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post and your friend's studio is wonderful. I love Medium and I've been lucky enough to score front row seats and a private group meeting with Allison Dubois (the real woman behind the character) when she comes to Sydney in December. It should be very interesting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been a very inspiring trip!
    Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what busy days! I went back to my old college a few weeks ago, the whole college has been closed down and is going to be turned into apartments! I still looked lovingly at the old ugly building where I had such fun studying textiles. How cool is that to see Belle & Boo on a big poster in the exhibition, so great to see so many have made it! I must say I too would be stomping and pouting at that studio, isn't it so beautiful! I've been enjoying the Twitter postings, loved the do-nut photo of the girls! HUGS, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting!

    Yes, your friends studio is great, all those little corners.
    Also to see some photos of your studio like the packaging desk photo and the shelve with all the prints....
    Wish you a wonderful and sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to do illustration at Leeds but didn't get in (sob!) Still, if I had I wouldn't have met my partner... so everything happens for a reason! Great to hear you're doing so well x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, your trip sounded fantastic and I am so happy you are very busy with the business. I recommended you to a friend who is doing her nursery up so I do hope she orders from you. Have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs,
    Micayla x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy, busy! I love Yorkshire sculpture park, it's always so inspiring and beautiful even for those not interested in sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how busy you have been with exciting adventures!! It is fun to read each post and see what great things you are into! Busy busy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to have a catch up Mandy and see what you and Russ have been visiting. Your friends studio wow- heaven!
    I have been v impressed with the FB and Twitter pages and the packaging care when i ordered my cards.(tho I confess I miss your lil' notes honey!)
    I sent the Belle with lamb card to a few people for Easter.
    Thinking of you, love kat xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that banner, do you get to keep it?
    that bunny is terrifying! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be stamping my foot too, I am VERY jealous of that studio!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you were a Leeds Met girlie?!?! How fantastic!! I was a Leeds Uni grad, now living in Chapel Allerton - do you know it? That building you mentioned on the old BBC site is gorgeous - when you're driving on the inner ring road it appears like a tower! It's changed so much over the year - watching it rust has been beautiful!

    I can't believe you were in Leeds and I was unable to stalk you and make you my friend! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You seen to always be on a Grand Adventure! It was all so beautiful, thanks for sharing it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. We live just down the road from the YSP, you should have called by for a cuppa :) I LOVE the giant hares at the sculpture park.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete