Saturday, 15 January 2011

Spring in my Step


Today for the fist time this year (granted there have only been 14 days!) I woke up with a literal spring in my step, I skipped into the kitchen and the reason..........
I feel a lot better, 2011 has so far been a blur of colds, sickness and backache. I knew I felt better when I asked myself if I wanted a coffee and croissant for breakfast and the answer was a resounding YES!
The 2nd reason.......today is the day I start story boarding the first ever Belle & Boo picture book!
Now I know we have self published 'Bubbles Before Bed' and it has done tremendously well, but this next book is a full blown 38 page, full colour, hard back picture book to be published by Orchard books if all goes to plan this Autumn.
I say if all goes to plan, because an autumn publishing date requires finished art work by the end of April, if not sooner
GULP!
I have been in the very, very fortunate position of being approached by publishers for a while now, mainly at first from the States that have found Belle & Boo via Etsy. Etsy is an amazing showcase for your work, its not just Belle & Boo by any stretch of the imagination, a good number of my Etsy artist friends have been contacted by all sorts of interesting people and companies. Now just because you are approached does not mean anything happens and there have been numerous reasons along the way why we are only just now entering into a publishing deal. The main reason if I am honest is I haven't felt ready. Before starting Belle & Boo and before I went traveling I illustrated picture books, which I loved and felt very privileged to do, but like all jobs there were draw backs and I wasn't ready to rush back, that is until now. Now feels right, now I see Belle & Boo as animated little characters, I see them running, chatting and heading off on big adventures (well big for a little child and a small bunny!) Orchard is a wonderful company I have been lucky enough to work with them in the past and Kate and I couldn't resist the gorgeous goodie box they sent, with musical presentations and homemade bunny biscuit (no photo of those I am afraid as Kate and I and her children polished them off immediately!



OK so thats enough chat now I need to get sketching, I promise to keep you updated along the way, even it's only to vent my stress about deadlines!

Before I go 2 pretty pictures, thank you to (Ana)belle's mum for sharing this cute picture of a Boo coat far from home in Australia.


21 comments:

  1. great news! glad you've found a company you are excited about and that the time feels right. v exciting mandy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWH, Thats huge, to get books published! At least thats what I think :)
    I love you're blog, its so clean and cute, but not overload cute. And you're pictures got soul :D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How brilliant, though I am not in the least surprised as your work is gorgeous. My lieele girl loves using the mug we bought her for Christmas from you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome news! I'm oh so enjoying my B&B mug, notebook, pins, cards, dresses (well, my girls do ;)
    Have a sweet Saturday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on starting up again! That's great news and I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job on the new book. I can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant news! an't wait to hear all about it when I see you in two weeks x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you feel well and are back on the Coffee and Croissants! That is so very exciting - I can't wait to hear about the books progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cold is already hitting so many people this year, crazy....Wish you a lot of energy!
    I already told my husband what I want for christmas 2011, hehehe. (>.<)
    A new Belle & Boo book sounds great, good luck! Have a nice weekend, hopefully also a sunny one, I guess in UK is it grey like here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. good to hear that your feel good & strong.

    lots of cool plans for 2011

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandy, that fantastic news, so happy for you. Look forward to buying the book :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What good news! I am anxious to hear how it goes! Congratulations!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Mandy!!! I can't wait to see it and follow your progress. I already want a copy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very exciting news! I can't wait to see the book - no pressure:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. can't wait for that book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yipeeeee! A Belle and Boo book. That is wonderful news, congratulations! You are going to have a second generation of Belle and Boo fans. I love all things Belle and Boo and I am thinking that my two girls (ages 4 and nine months) will too - how can they not? They are surrounded with all beautiful things Belle and Boo and we love it!

    Wishing you all the best as you embark on your exciting book project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling better and the spring is back in your step! You have so many exciting bits going on in these next few months. I love seeing Belle and Boo grow and grow and grow! It's astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that first photo...it could be my childhood shelf!

    Exciting news about the book..looking forward to it.

    Glad you are feeling better - you must have been ill indeed to have not wanted to eat a croissant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I'm super excited to see a new Belle & Boo book. I can't wait! I'm in love with your artwork & imagination. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really adore this world! So happy to be your newest follower!
    Love from Rome.
    Laura@RicevereconStile

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! I am so happy for you and I can't wait until it is all finished and we can get a copy sent over here to Istanbul! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete